A Contra Blues strikes again with its new record “Jab” (2019). A work that shows the band in a state of fullness and maturity, featuring twelve certain compositions in which the group recoveres its more rooted influences. And they do it with a clear conductive wire: Rock & Roll.
“Jab” delivers us a raw sound, direct, hot and at times wild. Within this sound wave we find classic reminiscences such as the guitars of Magic Sam, Jerry Reed and Bo Diddley, the aroma of legendary bands like Credence Clearwater Revival, Little Feet, The Sonics or The Allman Brothers and also strokes of sounds closer in time such as Chris Isaak or Ben Harper.
This is “Jab”; a direct punch that can send anyone to the canvas.
A Contra Blues is definitely one of the best bands within the current european rock and blues scene. The band it’s backed up by prestigious awards such as the European Blues Challenge 2014 winners award, seven records and fifteen years of musical career, with a constant presence and live performances throughout the national an international territory.
Those who have seem them live know it well; the stage is the terrain where they demostrate that we are in front of one of the best rock bands of the moment.
Among the festivals in which the group has participated we can highlight:
- Polisonic (Spain 2019)
- Sonorama (Spain 2019)
- Santander Music (Spain 2019)
- Festival Interestelar Sevilla (Spain 2019)
- Aalt Stadhaus Differdange (Luxembourg 2017)
- Cendanyola International Blues Festival (Spain 2017, 2013, 2011)
- Cáceres International Blues Festival (Spain 2017, 2013)
- Münchensteiner Bluesnight (Switzerland 2016)
- Lublin Blues Session (Poland 2016)
- Love Blues in Sem (France 2016)
- Festival de jazz Premià de Dalt (Spain 2016)
- Festival LézArt Vert (France 2016)
- Differdange Blues Express (Luxembourg 2016)
- Black Music Festival Girona (Spain 2016)
- Blues’n Jazz Rallye (Luxembourg 2015, 2014)
- Barcelona Blues Festival (Spain 2015)
- Olsztyn Blues Nights (Poland 2015)
- L’Isle d’Abeau Blues Party (France 2015)
- Nidaros Blues Festival (Norway 2015)
- Bluesfestival Basel (Switzerland 2015)
- Frederikshavn Blues Festival (Denmark 2014)
- Notodden Blues Festival (Norway 2014)
- Sierre Blues Festival (Switzerland 2014)
- Hondarribia Blues Festival (2014)
- Baixa da Banheira Blues Fest (Portugal 2014)
- Benicàssim Blues Festival (2014)
- International Festival des Deux Rivières (France 2013)
- International Cazorla Blues Festival (Spain 2009)
A Contra Blues has received the following awards:
- Winners of the European Blues Challenge (2014)
- Winners of the 1st Budweiser Blues contest (2010)
- Winners of Sarroca Lleida Award (2009)
- Winners of the Festinoval Award (2009)
- Winners of the 2nd Barcelona Blues Society Contest (2009)
- Winners of the 2nd Vila Big Band Festival Contest of Viladecans (2007)
In 2015 the band was selected to participate in the Spanish national tours GPS (Girando Por Salas) and AIEnruta (Artistas en ruta).
It has also has participated in the recording of the television programs Los Conciertos de Radio 3 (RTVE – 2019), Músics (RTVE2 – 2017), Feeel (Betevé – 2017), Cava blues (C33 – 2013) and Blues a l’estudi (TV3 – 2012).
If you’ve seen A Contra Blues in action you already know that it will offer you an exceptional night. If you still don’t know it, take a look at its schedule and get your chance to discover one of the strongest performances of the moment.
A Contra Blues are:
- Alberto Noel Calvillo – Electric guitar & backup vocals.
- Héctor Martín – Electric guitar & backup vocals.
- Joan Vigo – Double bass & bass.
- Víctor López – Drums.
- Jonathan Herrero – Lead vocals & guitar.
- Jab (2019)
- Heart and Guts (2017)
- R&B . Rarezas y Blues (2015)
- Chances (2013)
- En vivo (2012)
- A Contra Blues II (2010)
- A Contra Blues (2008)